The Church at Ephesus was battling Gnostics & the worshippers of Artemis. But were the women there not allowed to speak? Why would God give women the gift of prophecy if they’re to be silent?
Study Guide for Crack Your Bible
Episode 147 12/27/2017
🙏🏻 Can Christian women teach or must they be silent? Pt. 3
Today on #CrackYourBible, we’re talking about the role of women in the church. While 1 Timothy and 1 Corinthians seem to state that women aren’t allowed to teach or speak in the church, why does God give prophetic gifts to women if they’re seemingly not allowed to use these talents and gifts from God? What’s the point of this anyway?
Let’s go through the history of the Church at Ephesus, the church that Paul wrote 1 and 2 Timothy to.
From the Bible we know
- Women not being allowed to teach is a misunderstanding of 1 Timothy 2:11-15, 1 Corinthians 14:34-35
- The Church at Ephesus was the 1st church in Asia mentioned. Revelation 2:1-3
- People who were teaching false doctrines and Jewish myths were to be rebuked sharply. Titus 1:10-14
- Paul set up the Church at Ephesus with 12 believers. Acts 19:1-6
- Demetrius the silversmith incited a riot against Paul for speaking against Artemis. Acts 19:24-28
- People who had swerved from the truth were not banned from speaking to the church. 1 Timothy 1:2-7
- The word for permit, “epitrepo” is used as a 1 off permission, like with Jesus permitting the demons to go into pigs. Luke 18:32
- If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord & believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:8-10
- Gnostics forbade people to marry or eat certain foods. 1 Timothy 4:1-3
- It is better to marry than to burn with passion. 1 Corinthians 7:8-9
- Priscilla AND Aquila both corrected and taught Apollos. Acts 18:24-26
- Women will prophesy in the last days. Joel 2:28-29